[collectd] Re: collectd client/server mode

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Jul 6 08:23:40 CEST 2006

Hello Matthew,

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 09:19:03AM -0500, Matthew Koch wrote:
> My coworkers and I were hoping to monitor a number of remote hosts
> that are addresses using DHCP so we had to make some down and dirty
> modifications to your source. Our patches wouldn't be useful in a
> global sense, but I was writing to suggest that someone might be able
> to rewrite what we have done in a more general way.

that has been on my mind for quite some time, but since it breaks
backwards compatibility I wanted to save this for collectd 4. Right now
I have a huge pile of work that demands my attention, but I hope to get
started on this in August.

> Generally, we modified network_receive to take an additional argument
> from the client which we use as an identifier. We then disabled the
> reverse lookup in network_receive because we thought it might be a lot
> of extra work. On the client side we specify a hostname in the config
> file which is written in the UDP packet.

I don't think I would have done it in a different way..

> Not being C coders, the changes we made are rather ugly and not
> production ready.
> Let me know if you would like our patches, but as I said, I would be
> embarrased if my name was associated to the work therein.

It's up to you. Since I want to change some more things for the next
major release the patch is likely to not work with it anyway. But it's
always educational to see how other people would have done this ;) Also,
if it's not too much work I might end up cleaning the patch up and
providing it on the website so other people with similar requirements
don't have to pull up their sleeves themselves..