[collectd] Uptime monitoring...

Jan Huijsmans bofh at koffie.nu
Mon Jan 30 13:28:30 CET 2006

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:58:52AM +0100, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > Been using Collectd for a few weeks now, its great, one of the best tools
> > for getting data in to rrd. But i would like to monitor Uptime aswell.
>
> Well, I'm just curious: Why do you want to monitor uptime? I doesn't really
> make sense to me. It will just produce a linear graph that drops down to zero
> from time to time... ;-)

I have to agree, especially as rrdtool doesn't draw a graph for the period the
system was down. See http://stats.koffie.nu/collectd/trilian/ for an example,
it crashed frequently the last month. :-(

> Anyway, as I don't think this is gonna be hard, I might write such a plugin
> some time ;-)

I can think of 2 methods of doing this, write a 1 in the logfile every x seconds
or request the uptime and write the amount of seconds it's bin up in a log.
(both seem a bit pointless to me, but hey... ;-))

---

Jan Huijsmans              bofh at koffie.nu

... cannot activate /dev/brain, no response from main coffee server