[collectd] libping bugfix

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Feb 4 10:36:38 CET 2006

Hi Tommie,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:27:16PM +0100, Tommie Gannert wrote:
> I've finally got around fixing a problem I had with the ping plugin.

I don't know why this should solve the problem, but if it does I'll
happily include it ;) Thanks for the patch :)

Maybe this solves the problem a friend of mine has from time to time:
Sometimes the values returnes by libping are _way_ too low. They're
about 1ms over a DSL line.. However, I think the source for this problem
is either, that libping sets `icp->icmp_id' to the same value for all
packets/hosts, or that is doesn't check `icp->icmp_id' of the returned
packet. Or a combination of both..

I'll replace `libping' in the next realase anyways. I've written a small
module that
- can ping more then one host in parallel,
- can send ICMPv4 and ICMPv6 packets, and
- doesn't have all the `http', `pop3', etc. code.
It's not done yet though: When pinging four hosts or more something
weird happends: `select' _always_ returns with `EINTR'. I have no clue
(yet) why..