[collectd] new plugin - multimeter

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Aug 16 17:07:47 CEST 2006

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 09:02:39PM +0200, Peter Holik wrote:
> if there is interest in this plugin for different multimeters i will
> support it like http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm_multimeter.html

I just took a look at QtDMM and apparently the procotol is the same for
a wide variety of multimeters. So the main concern, when supporting
multiple multimeters, is the right serial port settings. They can easily
be made customizable using the config file, but asking the user about
`stop bits', `parity' and the like is not very elegant, if you ask me.

I didn't do much serial port programming (apart from some experiments
involving an Intel 80286 and QuickBasic, quite a while back ;), so, is
there a way to automagically detect these values? I guess `no', but I
honestly don't know.

The `QtDMM' guy has two modes: `polling' and `continuous'. Do you know
what `continuous' is? Is the multimerter just writing the current value
every $n Milliseconds?