[collectd] Re: increase time interval to 1 minute?

Christophe Kalt collectd at klb.taranis.org
Tue Apr 11 15:12:29 CEST 2006

On Apr 10, Florian Forster wrote:
| On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 12:53:29PM -0400, Christophe Kalt wrote:
| > The "step" setting should be configurable at runtime and per plugin.
| > Haven't looked at your main loop but it shouldn't be very hard to do.
|
| Making the step configurable at runtime is no problem. To make it
| configurable on a per-plugin basis is not as easy or, to be more
| precise, not as easy to be useful. The problem is, that (right now) all
| plugins are queried in the same interval. Having a configurable step
| therefore only makes sense if the plugins can be read at different
| (independent) intervals.

I'm not sure i see what the problem is.  You can keep track of
when the next time to query each plugin is, and only query it
then.  A quick look at the code makes me think it's an easy
change.

| > Now as far as the RRAs go, you're absolutely right.  You
| > can't hard code these.  Again, my advice is to make them
| > configurable per plugin, at runtime.  (Default RRAs as well)
|
| How do you suggest to configure that?

i have no good suggestion on this, i'm afraid.
the only thing i'll say is you want to keep the RRA
definitions out of the plugin conifguration, and name them
so they can be referenced in the plugin config.

Christophe