[collectd] process stat plugin [was: New plugin developer documentation]

David Bacher drbacher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:51:57 CEST 2006

Hello,

> > On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:20:53AM -0700, cydvd at autistici.org wrote:
> >
> >>I'm trying to write a plugin for collect information about a generic
> >>process reading the /proc/<pid>/stat informations,

I am interested in a plugin like this. In fact I started to code it up
before getting stuck with the problem of keeping track of which pids
were threads of one process and which were actually distinct
processes. Ideally, I'd like to keep track of the information from
/proc/pid/stat only at the process level. That is, vm size, rss, cpu
time, etc for a process with a particular name.

Is there a way to know whether a given pid is a thread of some parent,
or a distinct process? Does looking at the parent pid and tracing
ancestry give enough information to make the distinction?

Since my day job has gotten busy, I've had less time to devote to this
problem, but I'm still interested in helping if I can.

Cheers,
-dave