[collectd] Multicast

Jeff Haney collectd@verplant.org
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 06:45:02 -0400

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me getting the multicast
option to work.  It's not working and I'm not getting any feedback from the
daemon as to why.  Right now I'm testing collectd on one server, one client
machine.  Collectd has been started on the client with "-c", on the server
with "-s".  The server is generating it's own stats in /var/lib/collectd,
the client is not, presumably because it is in "send" mode however the
server is not receiving anything.  ifconfig shows "UP BROADCAST RUNNING
MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1" on the interfaces for both machines.  Doing
an "ip route add 224.0.0.0/4 dev eth0" and pinging 224.0.0.1 gets a response
from quite a few servers on the network so multicast appears to be working.
Doing "ip route add 239.0.0.0/4 dev eth0" gives me a error, not sure why,
and I get no response when trying to ping  239.192.74.66.  I don't know much
about multicast but did a little reading before trying to configure collectd
for sender and listener.  Also tried creating a subdirectory under
/var/lib/collectd on the server machine with the hostname of the client
machine (tried fully qualified and not qualified) but that didn't have any
affect.  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.