[collectd] Network traffic scale...

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Nov 24 22:47:46 CET 2005

Hello Jan,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 09:32:29PM +0100, Jan Huijsmans wrote:
> I just installed collectd and I was wondering, what's the scale of the
> network traffic gatherer.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.. Data is collected every 10
seconds, and the the maximum, minimum and average values for one minute
(i.e. 6 values) are saved to the RRD file. Does that answer your
question?

> Are the stats gathered in bits per second of bytes?

The values in the RRD files are bytes per second, since that's the
smallest indivisable unit (when asking network equipment at least). The
graphs normally display bits per second though, since it's more common
to have bits than bytes per second.. That's done by multiplying the
`raw' values in the file with eight before drawing the graph:

   DEF:out_byte=traffic-eth0.rrd:outgoing:AVERAGE
   DEF:inc_byte=traffic-eth0.rrd:incgoing:AVERAGE
   CDEF:out_bit=out_byte,8,*
   CDEF:inc_bit=inc_byte,8,*