[collectd] client-side collectd without rrd

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Nov 11 17:20:08 CET 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:10:22PM -0700, David Bacher wrote:
> I have a set of embedded systems that I've started monitoring using
> collectd. I don't have the desire to build rrdtool for these systems, but
> the client side of collectd (in network mode) doesn't actually need it. With
> some minor modifications to the collectd.c and common.c code, I was able to
> build a collectd client that works without the rrd library.

I've done basically the same thing now: When librrd is not found or the
configure script is run with the ``--without-rrdtool'' option the binary
is built in client-only-mode.

The modules still contain their `write' logic (i.e. creating the
filename and calling `rrd_update_file') but the binary only contains a
stub.. That means that the modules are slightly bigger than they need
to be. After all, there is some logic that will never be called by the
generated binary. But that shouldn't hurt since it's only a hand full of
instructions anyway.. This way the modules can be used with a `normal'
binary, too..

Guess it's time for me to redo the OpenWRT on my WRT54GS ;) Before
redoing my fileserver I was short on storage capacity and deleted my
toolchain :/

Have fun :)
-octo

P.S.: Uhm, yeah, eh, you can find all that on the svn, of course.. A
release will follow some time next week..