[collectd] How to store MySQL statistics?

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sun Dec 18 11:53:52 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

I have a hard time deciding between two alternatives and just wanted to
ask if anyone cares and, if so, which way to prefer:

The new `mysql' plugin connects to a MySQL database and issues
`SHOW STATUS;'. One of the things I want to handle are the commands that
have been issued. There are counters for a large number of commands, for
example: `Com_select' and `Com_update' but also rather uninteresting
stuff such as `Com_show_charsets' or `Com_create_function'.

Since these `data sources' aren't closely connected (a different version
of MySQL could show two more, another could have some less..) the
``right way'' would be to have one RRD-file for each counter, e.g.
`mysql_commands-select.rrd' and `mysql_commands-show_charsets.rrd'. This
will result in a huge number of RRD-files but every user can decide on
his own what's interesting for him..

The other way is to categorize these counters for the user. It's the way
it's currently implemented, though I'm not entirely happy with that. I
sum up `Cmd_insert*', `Cmd_select', `Cmd_show*' and `Cmd_update*'. I
ignore `Com_stmt_*' and everything `Cmd_*'-else is called `other'. This
way I have five DS which show the most used commands in not so great
detail..

So, which solution to choose? Great detail and flexibility, and many
files. Or one file and only a rough view of what the database is doing?