[collectd] I guess we need a config file

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Dec 9 16:21:06 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

there are two things on my mind:
1) Use threads to parallelize the modules (as described before).
2) I'm in the process of writing a module for MySQL. For that to work I
   need (configurable) username, hostname, port and _password_. Since I
   won't pass the password on the command line I'd say it's time we got
   ourselves a config file.

For both issues there's a solution. It's easy and, in my opinion,
elegant: Pull in `glib'. It provides data-structures which we could use,
simplifies shared libraries, provides thread-abstraction (threadpools,
also) and, last but not least, has a config parser with a simple and
powerful syntax.

Apparently glib's interface hasn't changed much between 1.x and 2.x, so
I hope to be version-independend. But since I don't have any experience
with glib I can't promise that..

Before I start doing big changes, does anyone have anything to note?

In the meantime, I'll pack another release to get the `users' module
published ;)