[liboping] QoS patch (was: Version 1.1.0 available)

Florian Forster ff at octo.it
Wed Oct 27 16:50:13 CEST 2010

Hi Vladimir,

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:18:46AM +0400, Vladimir Melnikov wrote:
> I've made some functionality extension to debug QoS in the network -
> ability to set tos (present in most standard "pings") and to verify
> received tos field (didn't see any ping command with this feature).
> May be it will need to someone else.

thank you very much for your patch :) I've applied the patch and added
some changes myself. Most notably, I've renamed the "PING_OPT_TOS"
option to "PING_OPT_QOS" and "PING_INFO_TOS" to "PING_INFO_RECV_QOS". I
decided to use "QoS" rather than "ToS", because the term "Type of
Service" is closely coupled to the now deprected use of the bits in
IPv4.

The oping utility I've changed a good deal: The "-z" option has been
renamed to "-Q" to be consistent with the standard "ping" util. The
option now knows the standard DSCP names, for example "EF" for
"Expedited Forwarding" in addition to allowing to set the numerical
value manually. To see a list of recognized aliases, use:

  $ oping -Q help

The tool now prints the QoS field of incoming packets only if the
outgoing byte or the incoming byte is non-zero, i.e. "interesting". When
printing the byte, the tool will interpret it as DSCP / ECN and try to
print the appropriate alias name.

Best regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15