[collectd] plugin not unloaded if init function fails

Oleg Rosowiecki orosowiecki at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:15:42 CEST 2018

I've been testing a simple write plugin that captures values from a
specific read plugin and stores them in a predefined location on the file
system.

The init function of my plugin failed and returned 1 to indicate failure.
The log indicates that collectd noticed this:

collectd[2704]: Initialization of plugin 'writefile' failed with status 1.
Plugin will be unloaded.
collectd[2704]: plugin_unregister_read: No such read function: writefile

The intention is to unload the plugin but this doesn't seem to be
happening. collectd keeps calling my write callback forever. Could anyone
explain why? I've tested this on version 5.6.0.

The only suspicious line in the log is about plugin_unregister_read. I've
never registered a read callback for this plugin.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Oleg