[collectd] Collectd 5.5.1 and Varnish 4.1.4

Steinar Aasheim steinar.aasheim at nrk.no
Wed Jan 11 08:01:33 CET 2017

Hi

I'm trying to set up Collectd with the Varnish plugin on an Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTE server.
I'm running Collectd version 5.5.1 and Varnish 4.1.4.

My configuration is as follows:

LoadPlugin varnish
<Plugin varnish>
        <Instance>
                CollectCache       true
                CollectConnections true
                CollectBackend     true
                CollectSHM         true
                CollectESI         true
                CollectFetch       true
                CollectHCB         true
                CollectSMS         true
                CollectTotals      true
                CollectWorkers     true
                CollectUptime      true
                CollectVCL         true
                CollectStruct      true
                CollectObjects     true
                CollectSession     true
                CollectVSM true
        </Instance>
</Plugin>

When I start collectd I see the following message in the syslog:
collectd[59045]: varnish plugin: Unable to open connection.
collectd[59045]: read-function of plugin `varnish/localhost' failed. Will suspend it for 20.000 seconds.

Varnish runs as expected and I have verified that the other plugins in Collectd works as expected. I guess that this is some kind of configuration. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Best regards,
Steinar Aasheim