[collectd] cpufreq extension

Rinigus Git rinigus.git at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:04:49 CEST 2016

Dear collectd devs:

I would like to collect statistics on CPU frequencies, but in a different
form than it is provided in current cpufreq plugin. Namely, Linux reports
distribution of used cpu frequencies through
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/cpu-freq/cpufreq-stats.txt . So,
instead of collecting a single value, I'd be collecting how much of each
frequency was used between two readouts. This makes sense for platforms
were the readouts are not frequent and cpu frequency stats is important. I
am interested in it since it would give a better stats on CPU frequencies
on Sailfish.

At the same time, I was planning not to push the stats for each CPU
separately, but collect them all into one average CPU stat.

With these plans in mind: should I develop it as an extension of current
cpufreq or make a new plugin? In general, it looks to me, that if I join it
into one plugin, each function would be basically split by large if
(stat_code) { } else { }.

cheers,

rinigus