[collectd] Hackathon in Berlin on September 21st (or 18th)

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Tue Aug 20 22:04:46 CEST 2013

TL,DR: Hackathon on September 21st in Berlin. Please reply if you would
like to attend.

Hello collectd community,

I will be holding a workshop at Monitorama.eu in Berlin next month.

Dan Belcher and John Palmieri of Stackdriver have suggested to use this
opportunity to have a collectd Hackathon, which is a great idea. A
coupld collectd regulars will be there anyway and we could use this
opportunity to discuss future direction and some of the more complex
changes. Examples (just some ideas from the top of my mind, not an
exhaustive list):

 * Could / should we run plugins as separate processes, instead of
   threads? What would be the implications?
 * How useful are "data sources"? Would it be worthwhile to limit
   ourselves to one "data source" per "value list", i.e. one numeric
   value per identifier, in the next major version?
 * Speaking of which, what would be a good timeframe for a new (and
   backwards incompatible) major version?
 * How useful are COUNTER / DERIVE metrics? Would it make sense to drop
   that altogether and only use rates / GAUGE metrics?

Besides, having some "face time" and getting to know each other in
person is invaluable for working in a distributed team.

If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, please respond to
this email so I can get a feeling for how many people would actually
show up. Please also respond if you'd like to attend, but September 21st
doesn't work for you. It will make similar events in the future all the
more likely.

Best regards,
—octo
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org