[collectd] Versions 5.1.1, 5.0.5 and 4.10.8 available

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Tue Nov 13 15:55:43 CET 2012

Hi Cyril,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 01:46:11PM +0100, Cyril Feraudet wrote:
> - Why maintaining both 5.0 and 5.1 ?

we're providing bug fixes for the last two versions, i.e. 5.1 and 5.0.
Once 5.2 is released, we will provide bug fixes for 5.2 and 5.1. The
idea is to find a resonable compromise between the developers' and
users' needs: Developers don't want to maintain *every* old version and
would love to have everybody switch to the newest, shiniest, greatest
version right when it is published. Users, on the other hand, prefer to
stick with what's been proven to work (reasonably well) and preferably
not stumble into bugs introduced by new features.

> - How many time do you plan to maintain 4.x ?

We didn't commit to a time and I don't intent to do that. Version 4 is
still downloaded about as often as version 5, so there are clearly still
enough users to make this worthwhile. When version 4 came out, we
continued to provide bug fixed to version 3 for several years.

Best regards,
—octo
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org