[collectd] On $Interval differences between hosts

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Jun 22 09:49:05 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 02:07:29PM +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Suppose I have centralized monitoring (i.e. hub-and-spoke), similar to
> centralized syslogging.  On the central host (accepts UDP and writes
> RRD), I have
>
>     Interval 60
>
> On the nodes (collectd data and write to UDP), I have
>
>     Interval 10
>
> Is a given RRD file updated every ten seconds, or every minute?

All RRD files are updated in "the right" interval. I.e., RRDs containing
data from some node are updated using a ten seconds interval and those
belonging to the central server are updated using a 60 seconds interval.

Each plugin "knows" the interval with which it's queried and passes that
information along when dispatching data to collectd. This information is
also transferred over the network and, thus, available on the server as
well.

HTH,