[collectd] Issue With Graphite Perl Plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Jul 6 15:22:54 CEST 2011

Hi again,

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 07:22:17AM -0500, Tom Purl wrote:
> On 7/6/11, Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org> wrote:
> > Oh, I didn't know about this plugin yet … sounds quite interesting.
> > Would you (or somebody else) mind adding a page to the wiki and add it
> > to <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/List_of_front-ends> ;-)
>
> I'll be happy to once I get it up-and-running :)

Great :-)

Some screenshots would be nice as well, btw. ;-)

> >> Then, when I try to start collectd, I get the following errors:
> >>
> >> [2011-07-05 20:42:31] plugin_load_file: The global flag is not
> >> supported, libtool 2 is required for this.
> >
> > This is a result of automatically adding the global flag for the perl
> > plugin (NB: we should check for libtool 2 as well, when automatically
> > setting that flag). I suggest to recompile collectd with libtool 2
> > (which is available since Ubuntu Lucid) even though that might not be
> > necessary in your case … but better be sure and safe for the future ;-)
>
> How do I explicitly enable libtool 2 when I compile? Here's the
> version of that libtool that I have on the system now (and when I
> compiled 5.0):
>
>     tom at millhouse:/opt/collectd/sbin$ sudo dpkg -l |grep libtool
>     ii  libtool                          2.2.6b-2ubuntu1
>                   Generic library support script
>
> I don't see an explicit libtool option for the configure script. Is
> there something I'm missing?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you need libltdl as well. libtool is the
command line program used at build time while that lib is used by
collectd. In Ubuntu, the required package should be libltdl-dev.

> >> So it appears to me that collectd can't find Collectd.pm in
> >> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1, but that should be ok since a Collectd
> >> folder is in there, right?
> >
> > Nope, you need Collectd.pm as well … that's part of the perl plugin
> > (implemented in plain Perl). It should have been installed during 'make
> > install' as well. The default is ${prefix}/share/perl/<perl_version/
> > (${prefix} defaults to /opt/collectd/). Either copy Collectd.pm to any
> > of the directories in @INC (see above) or add the path to Collectd.pm to
> > the "IncludeDir" config option.
>
> Thanks! I set my IncludeDir value to "/opt/collectd/share/perl/5.10.1"
> and restarted, so I'm not getting that error any more. Unfortunately,
> I'm now getting this error:
>
> Can't load '/usr/lib/perl/5.10/auto/threads/threads.so' for module
> threads: /usr/lib/perl/5.10/auto/threads/threads.so: undefined symbol:
> PL_no_mem at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/XSLoader.pm line 70.
>  at /usr/lib/perl/5.10/threads.pm line 32
[…]
> I found a few posts that said I should run this before I start collectd:
>
>     export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libperl.so.5.10.1
>
> However, this didn't seem to help.

Hrm, that should still work … anyway, I don't currently have time to see
why that could fail.

> Am I getting this because of the missing libtool dependency?

Right.

> Also, why do you suppose it's looking for
> a Perl 5.10 plugin if I'm using 5.10.1?

The "5.10" directory is a symlink to the latest Perl version, i.e.
5.10.1 in your case.

HTH,