[collectd] Packaging Collection4 for Ubuntu

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 21 10:39:57 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-21 09:50, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> Hi Pander,
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:14:07AM +0200, Pander wrote:
>> For anyone who is interested, see the following packaging request for
>> Ubuntu:
>>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/767302
>>
>> Providing extra information or a package candidate is welcome.
>
> I'm also about to package C4 for Debian -- see [itp].

Great

 Do you have any
> packaging available already?

Nope, I only install from source when absolutely needed and provide info
for Ubuntu packagers.

 Imho, it makes sense to join forces to do
> the packaging in Debian and then (auto-)sync the package to Ubuntu.

I will refer to the itp in the Ubuntu package request. Probably it will
get pushed from Debian to Ubuntu.

> Btw, I'm going to install C4 to /usr/share/ (as that is the most
> appropriate location according to FHS and Debian Policy imho) rather
> than /opt/ or /var/www/ (both directories should not be touched by
> packages but are intended for use by the local administrator only).

Agreed.

> My initial packaging is available at [gto]. A bit more work is still
> needed though, possibly including some changes to the upstream sources
> (e.g., see my commits in collection4.git). Please feel free to
> contribute to that ;-)

I tried to build from git. That needed installation of bison/yacc/lex
but kept on failing. Installing latest stable .tgz worked fine, and
without the need of bison/yacc/lex. The README and INSTALL files need a
bit more explaining on required build packages.

Regards,

Pander