[collectd] Greetings (oh and some nooby help)

Collect D collectd at graq.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 13:45:23 CEST 2010

> > collectd appears to be writing rrd files in
> > /var/lib/collectd/www.mysite.com
>
> > opendir > (/var/lib/collectd/rrd): No such file or directory at
> > ../lib/Collectd/Graph/Common.pm line 263
>
> either directory is fine, but they have to match.
>
> By default the RRDtool plugin uses the …/collectd/rrd directory and the
> CSV plugin uses the …/collectd/csv directory, so both plugin can be
> active at the same time without getting in each other's way.

I understand the usefulness of the rrd/csv split. I think my
misunderstanding comes from that all 'bits' reading the rrd files
effectively assume the the <Plugin rrdtools> block in collectd.conf has been
configured, when in fact it is commented out after install (and the default
dir is just /var/lib/collectd). I had missed this configuration step.

> (this feels like the wrong place to me?).
>
> Why's that? It's data written at run-time, so $localstatedir (i.e. /var)
> is the right place for this.

I'm not disagreeing with /var. Actually I'm not disagreeing at all.
Mistakenly I assumed that things would be logged in /var/log, not /var/lib.
But I see that they are library files (database files, in fact). System
administration doesn't come naturally to me, sorry.

> > Am I nearly there?
>
> Yeah, I think so ;)

Forever reaching for that unattainable nirvana... :)