[collectd] Varnish plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Jun 11 10:51:03 CEST 2010

Hi Jérôme,

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 08:40:30AM +0200, Jerome Renard wrote:
> Are you still running the plugin on your production machines ?
> Did you nothing any (new ?) issue so far ?

I've changed the data sets / types used for storing the values
yesterday. Some of the values are "gauge" values while most of them are
"counters". The plugin now uses generic data sets with gauge or derive
data sources, as needed.

I'm currently thinking about moving information from the type instance
to the plugin instance. Take the storage components for example: The
files are currently named

  host/varnish[-instance]/...
    .../total_requests-storage-file
    .../requests-storage-file-outstanding
    .../bytes-storage-file-allocated
    .../bytes-storage-file-free
    .../total_requests-storage-mem
    .../requests-storage-mem-outstanding
    .../bytes-storage-mem-outstanding
    .../bytes-storage-mem-allocated
    .../bytes-storage-mem-free
    .../total_requests-storage-synth
    .../requests-storage-synth-outstanding
    .../bytes-storage-synth-outstanding
    .../bytes-storage-synth-allocated
    .../bytes-storage-synth-free

If we move some of the information into the plugin instance, the data is
structured better:

  host/varnish-default-storage-file/...
    .../total_requests
    .../requests-outstanding
    .../bytes-allocated
    .../bytes-free
  host/varnish-default-storage-mem/...
    .../total_requests
    .../requests-outstanding
    .../bytes-outstanding
    .../bytes-allocated
    .../bytes-free
  host/varnish-default-storage-synth/...
    .../total_requests
    .../requests-outstanding
    .../bytes-outstanding
    .../bytes-allocated
    .../bytes-free

Here, "default" is the Varnish instance name (which would no longer be
allowed to be empty).

> Do you think the plugin should monitor more stuff or is that
> sufficient for now ?

I think the following might be interesting:

  s_sess       Total Sessions
  s_req        Total Requests
  s_pipe       Total pipe
  s_pass       Total pass
  s_fetch      Total fetch
  s_hdrbytes   Total header bytes
  s_bodybytes  Total body bytes

> @Florian :
> Do you think we should focus on the Wiki page that will document the
> plugin now ?

I already set up a preliminary wiki page at [0]. Feel free to edit it to
your liking ;) You need to log-in to upload example graphs, though.

[0] <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Varnish>