[collectd] Monitoring collectd

Andrés J. Díaz ajdiaz at connectical.com
Fri Feb 26 17:02:03 CET 2010

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:49:58 +0100
Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Sebastian (et al)

> Hrm, this might even warrant a new (boolean) config option, which, if
> set, will mark a data-set as "interesting" and thus causes a
> notification to be dispatched if the value is missing. Of course, your
> work-around works as well, but that should rather be considered a bad
> hack (no offense ;-)) and it's fairly hard to understand when looking
> at the config file.

Yep, perhaps my "solution" is a bit tricky ;) I've attached a patch with
an "Interesting" option for thresholds, so we can define a threshold in
the following way:

<Threshold>
  <Type "load">
    Interesting "true"
  </Type>
</Threshold>

Note that Interesting is true by default and you only need to
explicit the "true" value for dummy thresholds (i.e. without
warning or failures thresholds). Also, we can define a threshold for
something value, but without the interesting check (that is, never get
a notification when missing data), just putting the Interesting value
to "false".

Enjoy and remember that feedbacks are welcome :)

Regards,
  Andrés