[collectd] libiptc build problems

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Sep 17 16:39:53 CEST 2009

Hi Mirko,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 04:27:06PM +0200, Mirko Buffoni wrote:
> At 15:42 17/09/2009 +0200, you wrote:
> > > Is there any other configure parameter I should specify to force correct
> > > iptc handling?
> >
> >I recommend using the shipped library in that case, i.e. the
> >--with-libiptc=shipped configure option available since 4.7.3 / 4.8.0.
>
> I'm trying to compile version 4.8.0 which I redownloaded again, but there
> is no such option --with-libiptc=shipped

Darn - this has been introduced after the release of both 4.7.3 and
4.8.0 :-/ You could use a snapshot available at [snapshots] instead.
Currently, they should include minor fixes only, but in the future, they
will include new and (possibly) untested features as well, though.

> If I specify --with-libiptc=yes, it compiles the library and libs can be
> found under src/owniptc/.libs/
>
> However:
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -DPREFIX=\"/usr\"
> -DCONFIGFILE=\"/etc/collectd.conf\" -DLOCALSTATEDIR=\"/var\"
> -DPKGLOCALSTATEDIR=\"/var/lib/collectd\"
> -DPIDFILE=\"/var/run/collectd.pid\" -DPLUGINDIR=\"/usr/lib/collectd\"
> -DPKGDATADIR=\"/usr/share/collectd\" -Wall -O2 -g -m32 -march=i386
> -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -MT irq.lo -MD -MP -MF
> .deps/irq.Tpo -c irq.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/irq.o
> iptables.c:55: error: conflicting types for 'iptc_handle_t'
> owniptc/libiptc.h:48: error: previous declaration of 'iptc_handle_t' was here

As a work-around, add "-DHAVE_IPTC_HANDLE_T -DHAVE_IP6TC_HANDLE_T" to
the CFLAGS. This will stop working, though, when you upgrade to the new,
official version of libiptc, but will be fixed in the next 4.7 and 4.8
releases.

> >PS: Please avoid [top-posting], as this makes it harder to follow a
> >     thread. If you do not reply to any specific part of the original
> >     message (as in the current case), consider not including a quote at
> >     all. TIA!
> >
> >[faq:static_libs] <http://collectd.org/faq.shtml#faq:static_libs>
> >[top-posting] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting>
>
> Will do.