[collectd] Shouldnt collectd also provide an interface to the data?

Yann yann.hamon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:40:56 CEST 2009

Hello, I've been following collectd for quite a while now and have
been stuck so far by the lack of good graphing software. One of the
problems I see is that it is really hard to access the data - collectd
has drivers to write either to rrd, csv etc... just when it comes to
graphing, every graphing tool would need all those drivers too - at
the moment all the tool I've seen were only able to use RRDs as an
entry point...

It doesn't get  better if you want proper GUIs (think QT/GTK) and not
web front ends. The GUI has to run on the same server as the collectd
server so that it can access the data - I'm probably not the only one
that doesn't have KDE on my collectd server to run kcollectd, which
does look nice although :)

So, here comes my christmas wish for collectd.. Could collectd 5
provide a read interface to the data, an API that my frontend GUI
could use to gather the data and display it nicely? With the data that
gets taken out of csv or SQL if that' were I write to.. That would
make it a lot easier to graph the data on a different server than the
one doing collectd.

Anyway, I should be able to survive without, I guess I'll install a
web frontend on my collectd server as everyone else, just that would
really rock :)

Thanks for reading and for the great tool

Yann