[collectd] jcollectd

Doug MacEachern Doug.MacEachern at hyperic.com
Thu Jan 15 01:06:41 CET 2009

Hi All,

Looking at ways to integrate Java apps + collectd, I tried Justo's jmx
plugin, which worked well but decided to try a different approach.
We've uploaded a package to github called 'jcollectd' that implements
the collectd protocol in pure Java and provides JMX integration on top.
Rather than embed a JVM in collectd, we use the already running JVM(s)
such as tomcat, add the collectd.jar file with a few command-line
options and inject data into collectd via the protocol.

With the server-side of the protocol we can listen for collectd packets,
publish as JMX MBeans and view with a graphical tool such as jconsole.
So, even the non-Java folks might be interested in this part.
Screenshot at the bottom of:
http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/jcollectd

Seemed like this project would be better off on its own rather than the
contrib directory, the source is on github:
http://github.com/hyperic/jcollectd
Hope you don't mind I used org.collectd for the Java package and
directed discussion to this list :)

It's an early release, so expect changes (hopefully driven by discussion
here) and better docs than the quick README.  Any and all feedback
welcome of course.

-Doug