[collectd] curl_xml plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Dec 29 16:53:43 CET 2009

Hi Amit,

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 07:24:46PM +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Amit Gupta <amit.gupta221 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org>wrote:
> >> Where:
> >>
> >>  * The argumetn to "XPath" is an xpath which returns a base block in
> >>    which to look further.
> >>  * The arguments to "Instance" and "Values" are xpath expressions, too.
> >
> > Just a clarification, "Instance" here will be type_instance(s) and thus can
> > be anything (not just xpath), right?
>
> I guess I understood why "Instance" has to be a xpath expression if "table"
> is true. Instance xpath would return list of values which will be used as
> type_instances for multiple type values returned by evaluating xpaths in
> "Values". Is my understanding correct?.

Yep, that's right.

If "Table" is false, a simple string would be sufficient as well, but
changing the semantics of "Instance" depending on "Table" would be
confusing -- also, people might still want to fetch the instance from
the XML file.

Other plugins (e.g., postgresql) handle that by introducing an option
called "InstancePrefix" which expects a string as argument. That string
is prepended to the type_instance.

If "Table" is false, "Instance" would be optional, thus making it
possible to specify a constant string as type_instance using "Instance-
Prefix".

Cheers,