[collectd] curl_xml plugin

Amit Gupta amit.gupta221 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 11:01:04 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org> wrote:

> Hi Amit,

> Sounds interesting :) What do you plan to use this plugin for?

Sun Java System Web Server 7.0.  This  server exposes monitoring data in xml
format via a URL and thus, the need of this plugin.

> Looks okay to me. However, I'd expect XML to contain a lot of tabular
> data in general. Wouldn't it make sense to make it possible to configure
> columns for instance name and values. Something like:
>
>  <XPath "/path/to/table[class=magic]">     # I don't know the XPath
>    Instance "tr/th[class=type_of_magic]"   # syntax, so I'm making
>    Values "tr/td[class=magic_level]"       # something up here.
>    Type "magic_level"
>    Table true
>  </XPath>

Looks good to me. I will try to implement this configuration and re-post the
updated plugin.

> Where:
>
>  * The argumetn to "XPath" is an xpath which returns a base block in
>    which to look further.
>  * The arguments to "Instance" and "Values" are xpath expressions, too.

Just a clarification, "Instance" here will be type_instance(s) and thus can
be anything (not just xpath), right?

Regards
Amit

Regards,