[collectd] collectd for dreambox/mipsel

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Dec 18 08:46:45 CET 2009

Hi Michael,

thanks for the compliments :)

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:29:34AM +0100, Michael Markstaller wrote:
> Already did --enable-debug before..
> hmm, it's a STB, had to frickel lsof and strace together first.

Oh, yeah, debugging on those embedded devices is not as straight forward
as I initially assumed :/

> But this lead to the problem source immidiately:
> I simply put the libs wrong, strace:
> open("/usr/lib/collectd", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

> Maybe for little dumb users like me, it would be helpful to add one
> more error-message for "No such file or directory" ;-)

Yeah, definitely. The problem is that an error message *is* produced by
calling the ERROR() macro. This macro will call plugin_log() which will
send the message to all log plugins. No log plugins, no error message
though.

There already was a fix for this in the 4.9 release, but since it's a
bugfix really I've picked that change into the 4.7 branch [0]. The next
releases, 4.7.5 and 4.8.2, due today, will print to STDERR if no log
plugins are loaded.

> I'll try to create a bitbake config for this tomorrow, so for
> medium-skilled users an usable ipk falls out (and I don't have to
> remember what I typed the last few hours..)

Nice :) If there's anything I should put on the download page, please
let me know :)

[0] <http://git.verplant.org/?p=collectd.git;a=commitdiff;h=00a87614c6652bf67be9d717dc4ef9efd703f552>