[collectd] network plugin transmit rate

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Dec 12 10:57:33 CET 2009

Hi Logan,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 08:50:15AM -0800, Logan Barron wrote:
> so i am guessing that this process is:
> a) continuous (perhaps coinciding with the interval rate) &
> b) non-configurable

there is a buffer within the network plugin that gets filled. Whenever
the buffer is full, a packet is sent. By default, the buffer size is
1000 bytes and new versions of collectd can set this value in their
config file. (Since version 4.8 iIrc)

How much data is sent depends on your configuration, i.e. how many
plugins you use. Usually there are about 20 values in one packet. If you
only use the CPU plugin (8 values for each CPU under Linux), you will
get roughly one packet every 2.5 intervals. Two packets every five
intervals means roughly 2000 bytes in 50 seconds or 320 bits per second.

On a typical setup I'd say there are about 4 packets sent per interval,
resulting in about 4000 bytes per 10 seconds or 3,200 bits per second.

As I said: Your mileage may vary!