[collectd] RandomTimeout question

Jie Zhang jj.mzhang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:52:28 CET 2009

Hi,

I was trying to configure the rrdtool plugin to spread out writes to rrd
files by setting the "RandomTimeout" value in rrdtool plugin configuration.
But I got a messaging saying "Plugin `rrdtool' did not register for value
`RandomTimeout'." when collectd were started. I did some more research and
 it seems that the RandomTimeout patch might be added after the rpm package
I am using was built.  I am using the latest collectd rpm I can found for
CentOS,
which is collectd-4.7.2-1.el5.rf.src.rpm and was built on Wed 29 Jul 2009.

If the above is true , could anyone tell me where to find the patch and how
to apply the patch to my rpm ( or if it's not a patch,
How can I add this functionality to the collectd rpm I am using)?

Otherwise, does anyone know what's wrong with my configuration? Here is the
configuration of rrdtool:
LoadPlugin rrdtool
<Plugin rrdtool>
        DataDir "/usr/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
        RRARows      2880
        RRATimespan  259200
        CacheTimeout 900
        CacheFlush   3600
        RandomTimeout 10
</Plugin>

On the other side, I also want the collection of the data be staggered so
that the monitoring won't all occur in bursts.
Does collectd have this capability?

Thanks!
Jie