[collectd] Collectd and load average

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 01:16:13 CEST 2009

On Apr 22, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Florian Forster wrote:
> hm, sounds nasty.. What state is the process in when this condition
> occurs? Running (`R' in `top')? Waiting for IO (`D' in `top')? And
> which
> process is using the other 10% of CPU? Is that a multi processor
> machine?

 From what I can see it's always in S.

The machine is multi-processor, the other 10% isn't necessarily used,
the other process running there uses around 0-5% CPU right now.

> Maybe you could activate the `processes' plugin with this config:
>  <Plugin "processes">
>    Process "collectd"
>  </Plugin>
>
> You should then get a graph with the user- and system-CPU-time used by
> the collectd process. Having this graph lines up with the load graph
> would be very interesting I think..

Ok, I'm gonna add this.

>> <Plugin tcpconns>
>> 	ListeningPorts false
>> 	LocalPort "80"
>> 	RemotePort "*"
>> </Plugin>
>
> Probably not related, but `RemotePort "*"' should not work. If it
> would,
> it'd mean something like ``create one value for each outgoing
> connection'' which is very likely not what you want..

Ok, I'm gonna remove RemotePort then.

In the meantime I changed the value of CacheTimeout and CacheFlush
to be closed to each other like this:

<Plugin rrdtool>
	DataDir "/opt/collectd/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
	CacheTimeout 450
	CacheFlush   900
</Plugin>

In this way I've managed to at least not see the load issue for almost
a day and generally it never grows above 1.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running MacOS X 10.5