[collectd] apache and collectd plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Apr 15 16:29:54 CEST 2009

Hi Amit,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:51:54PM +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:
> I could have simply added the extra counters needed by lighttpd in the
> submit_scoreboard but there seems to be an conflict in some of the
> legends (e.g: read in apache is 'R' and in lighttpd is 'r'), so we may
> need to handle scoreboard of both the servers by using some
> differentiator.

‘r’ isn't used for anything in the Apache scoreboard, so from Apache's
point of view there is no problem. Does lighttpd use ‘R’ for something
else?

> In this patch, I am already assigning v.plugin a value of instance
> name. For legacy case, v.plugin will be assigned "apache".

Oh, I missed that. Please don't set ‘vl.plugin’ to anything but
“apache” (i. e. the actual name of the plugin). Exceptions are only made
for plugins such as the ‘network’ and ‘unixsock’ plugins. The string
defined by the “Instance” configuration option / block should go into
‘vl.plugin_instance’.

> I was more refering to the rrd file names (for instance
> apache_bytes.rrd/lighttpd_bytes.rrd) but as you suggested, renaming
> them to say http_bytes.rrd [in the next  major release] is also fine.

Yeah, those will probably be changes to ‘io_octets’.

> Thanks for looking into the patch. I will be working on your
> suggestions and will re-submit the patch.

Great, thanks :)