[collectd] Using Cacti as a frontend for collectd

Florent Monbillard f.monbillard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:28:06 CET 2008

Hi,

just found this old mail in collectd mailing list archives.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Pavel Georgiev <pavel at netclime.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I`ve been trying to gather various info from several linux boxes and found
> collectd perfect for the job. I`m trying to find a good enough frontend for
> it so I can monitor the data - tried drraw but it looks like its make in
> 199x
> and the only good solution that caught my eye was cacti. AFAIR cacti uses
> its
> own methods for collecting/storing data and that overlaps with what collecd
> is doing.

yes sure, cacti can use a php poller (don't if it still exists) or a
(spine) poller
written in C. collectd does the same job, so you can disable cacti poller :)
I use cacti just to graph rrd files polled by collectd.

> Has anyone managed to use cacti just as a frontend for collectd (or use
> both
> tools in any other way)? I read in the FAQ there are reports of people
> doing
> this but I could not find any info about that.

You have to do this manually. Create your datasources and point them to
collectd datasource files. More you have datasources, longer is this step...
When you finish "importing" datasources, you can use them in cacti like usual,
referencing them into graphs.

To try not repeat this 42 times or more, I created datasource
templates to fit the
structure of collectd common datasources (which uses "value" or "count" most
of the time). That helps a bit...

> Thanks!

You're welcome (at last ;))

Florent