[collectd] Error during make

Sascha A. Müller sam at marketing-by-abs.com
Tue Feb 19 09:27:16 CET 2008

Hi Sebastian,

sorry for the late reply, but somehow the mailsystem refused to send the email.

I checked on the major.h file on the slackware 11.0 system running kernel 2.6.17.13. which showed the following:

#define SCSI_DISK1_MAJOR        65
#define SCSI_DISK2_MAJOR        66
#define SCSI_DISK3_MAJOR        67
#define SCSI_DISK4_MAJOR        68
#define SCSI_DISK5_MAJOR        69
#define SCSI_DISK6_MAJOR        70
#define SCSI_DISK7_MAJOR        71

so we only go up to number 7. So no wonder on the compile error.
The version of glibc is 2.3.6-i486-6.

I'm not sure how to tell if the compiler finds the file, but I guess it does else i would assume a error regarding SCSI_DISK1_MAJOR and not not on SCSI_DISK7_MAJOR.

I'm not so good when it comes down to tracking those errors. If you could guide me a bit of the way or tell me which data will shed some light.

Dunno if attachments show up on the list, if not I'll see if i can get some space on the net.

Regards

Sascha.

>>> Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org> 02/09/08 2:29  >>>
Hi Sascha,

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:03:25PM +0100, Sascha A. Müller wrote:
>  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -Wall -Werror -g -O2 -MT hddtemp.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/hddtemp.Tpo -c hddtemp.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/hddtemp.o
> hddtemp.c: In function `hddtemp_init':
> hddtemp.c:307: error: `SCSI_DISK8_MAJOR' undeclared (first use in this function)

This should be defined in linux/major.h (which on Debian can be found in
the linux-libc-dev package - I guess, it should be something similar in
other distributions). Please make sure that you have this file available
and that I can be found by the compiler. If that is already the case,
please tell us your version of libc and the kernel and provide major.h
somehow (preferably by uploading it to some webserver).

HTH,