[collectd] RRD and Holt-Winters

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 18:18:32 CET 2008

> Thanks :) If you have any Perl-based plugins that may be of interest for
> someone else, please don't hesitate to sent it in - I'll be happy to
> include it in the next release ;)
>
> Regards,
> -octo

These are still very much works-in-progress and have barely been used
in production (so there might be unseen bugs). And as such, I haven't
gotten around to doing much yet in the way of comments. The only one
that's not pretty straightforward is
Collectd::Plugin::Write::WriteFile which isn't tied to a specific
plugin, so it gets registered for all plugins. It writes out a single
snapshot of all the stats being collected every certain amount of
seconds. I don't mess with Perl threads very often, so some of the
locking may seem inexplicable to someone that is more thread-savvy :)

Suggestions and (gentle) constructive criticism are most appreciated!

The NFS one might seem slightly silly but since the 'retrans' isn't
tracked by the 'nfs' plugin, I wrote up this perl version. Seeing a
spike in RPC retransmits can be a good indication of something being
borked.

BTW, what's the purpose of the datasets (i.e. what you register with
type TYPE_DATASET)? I copy/pasted it from the module in contrib/ but I
can't tell that it actually has any effect on anything. I was hoping
that defining them in the perl module would obviate the need to put
any new types in types.db but any new types with the same names as
ones registered with TYPE_DATASET still require a types.db defintion.