[collectd] How to compile my own plugin?

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Fri Dec 5 19:47:42 CET 2008

Hi,
I modified the entropy plugin to get some uptime statistics but I don't
know how to compile it. Yes, I've read
http://collectd.org/development/build-system.shtml but honestly I think
it's almost impossible to understand something useful without knowing
how make, automake ecc... work.
Well, I'd like to suggest adding a plugin too: an ip6tables plugin. It
should be easy being the iptables already implemented but I'm not sure
whether it is better to create a new plugin or modify the iptables one
adding IPv6 functionality. Does it sound interesting?
About the uptime plugin, I "created" it (well, I had to modify almost
nothing :D) because I used to collect uptime on my own home server with
rrdcollect (I'm moving to collectd ;), but if you find it interesting
please include it in the upstream package. I can't extend it no more
because I don't know how to retrieve this information on systems other
than linux, but it could be used on many other OSs.
Let me know what do you think about, ok?
Thanks.

Marco