[collectd] Problems with 'traffic' plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed May 10 21:56:37 CEST 2006

Hi Vlad,

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:31:26AM +0200, Vladyslav Bakayev wrote:
> I'm getting null values on (more or less) up-to-date Gentoo x86_64,
> with glibc 2.3.5, so I just stepped back to collectd with old-style
> proc parsing traffic plugin.

okay, since this problem appears to be kind of common (and I don't have
an idea why it appears to begin with) I'll make this a configure switch
in the next versioin with the default being the `proc' part.. If anyone
trips over anything related I'd apprechiate a hint ;)

> And btw, after restarting the collectd its almost guaranteed to have
> traffic peak values which jump to the ceiling (rrddump shows 1.4e+18
> while usually I have something around e+05 over there).

How's that? Such peaks usually happen when a counter gets reset (or an
overflow is not detected). The traffic counters are usually counted from
system startup. So `collectd' would have to influence the traffic
counters - which is shouldn't.. So, what environment does this problem
occur? The above configuration (64bit gentoo)?