[collectd] Graphing NFS statistics

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri Nov 18 13:41:39 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to add a graph for the NFS statistics to `collection.cgi' and
need some opinions. I'll talk about NFSv3 here but the problem basically
applies to versions 2 and 4 as well.

The NFS-RRD-files have many (22 in this case) DS'es. A graph with 22
lines is not very readable/informative. So I want to reduce the number
of lines/DSes actually graphed. I see three possible solutions:
- Group DSes together (a first try was `read', `write', `create' and
  `remove')
- Only graph some (i.e. the interesting ones) DSes
- A combination of both (graph the interesting seperate and one `Other'
  line..)

Here's some sample data of my fileserver:
       read: 14242804 63.88% ( 63.88%)
    getattr:  4075875 18.28% ( 82.16%)
     access:  1589911  7.13% ( 89.29%)
     lookup:   980753  4.40% ( 93.69%)
      write:   629690  2.82% ( 96.51%)
     commit:   340567  1.53% ( 98.04%)
    setattr:   143552  0.64% ( 98.68%)
     create:   136865  0.61% ( 99.30%)
     remove:   120388  0.54% ( 99.84%)
readdirplus:    18813  0.08% ( 99.92%)
     rename:    12000  0.05% ( 99.97%)
      mkdir:     2106  0.01% ( 99.98%)
    symlink:     2069  0.01% ( 99.99%)
      rmdir:     1026  0.00% (100.00%)
       link:      290  0.00% (100.00%)
   readlink:      203  0.00% (100.00%)
     fsinfo:       90  0.00% (100.00%)
      mknod:       32  0.00% (100.00%)
     fsstat:        2  0.00% (100.00%)
       null:        1  0.00% (100.00%)
    readdir:        0  0.00% (100.00%)
   pathconf:        0  0.00% (100.00%)

As you can see the first three procedures sum up to almost 90% of all
procedures, the first eight sum up to over 99%. Drawing the other 14 is
definitely not useful. That's what I think at least..

Looking at Jason's graphs I see that it's similar with his NFS server: a
whole bunch of `access' and `getattr' requests, a reasonable amount of
`read's and `writes' (though nowhere as many reads as my fileserver has
for whatever reason) and pretty much nothing else..

Oh, and one more limitation: For the sake of simplicity and because my
time is very limited at the moment I want to have exactly one graph per
RRD-file. This is not a hard requirement for the (far) future but right
now I don't want to spend that much time on this..

Any suggestions?